Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Recession Doesn't Have To Be Depressing!

Hello Brooklyn! Today I'm feeling a little depressed about the recession and the toll that it has taken on my fellow New Yorkers (myself included). I've done a little research and according to the Department of Labor's statistics, as of July 15, 2010 the city's unemployment rate is 9.5 percent, despite the 8,300 jobs that were added to the private sector last month. In all fairness, this is a slight improvement from the city's 10.5 percent rate which existed at the end of 2009, but when will the economy "get better?"

I, along with several of my friends have been adversely affected by the decline (or should I demise) of the American economy. I lost my position as an Adjunct lecturer of a GED program administered by the CUNY, due to budget cuts. Of course this wasn't my dream job (I'd love to be the editor-and-chief of my own magazine) but it provided a steady income and it paid the bills; which is more than I can say for unemployment benefits. How does the average, middle/working class American who brought in 40-80K per year, now survive on $405 a week. And that's only if you are lucky enough to receive the maximum pay-out of the state's unemployment benefits (unfortunately I'm not)! Hopefully, we all have money stashed away for a rainy day, but the harsh reality is that the average American lives check-to-check.

So what do you do when the economy fails you? When the source of your livelihood is lost? And the prospect of your gaining new employment in a timely fashion is dismal because you, along with every Tom, Dick, and Harry are competing for the same position? Do you continue to send out countless resumes (you'd be silly not to), with the hope that yours will stand out in the sea of resumes piled on the desk of a HR representative? Or do you employ good 'ol nepotism, and ask Daddy to make a phone call? By the way, if this is an option, you should definitely use it! Or, do you go back to school to get another degree? Several of my friends seem to think so (Note: If you don't have a Bachelor's degree, it's probably a good idea)! But if you're like me and already posses a graduate or professional degree, and aren't really sure that a PhD is necessary to bring your goals into fruition; what's your best recourse of action during these trying times?

I say, tap into your talent! Find your niche and develop it to its fullest potential. That's what I've decided to do; become the writer, that I was born to be! There's no time like the present! Recognize your gift, foster your talent and hangout in the right circles. You never know who you will meet or what can happen; I'm surprised by the invaluable connections that I've made during the last few weeks alone! Definitely send out your resume, but don't wait around for it to be discovered; be as proactive as possible, become the master of your ship and control your destiny!

In hindsight, I guess being laid off wasn't so bad after all!

3 comments:

  1. I've recently come to find out that what we think are setbacks are actually nudges for us to move to the next level, often times because we've been missing the key elements to get there.

    I'm sitting here wondering: What are the chances of you running that successful magazine if you didn't become the writer you were born to be? Is this that nudge you needed? Maybe.

    The recession has also been "mean" to me as well. But it actually gave me much needed motivation to take the steps toward the next level in my career (whatever that is). I admit I was becoming complacent as the tech world was passing me by and now im playing catch-up.

    For those of us who are focused, resourceful, and goal oriented, things like this are simply catalysts to great things. And if anyone doubts this, I'm sure they'll change their mind as they wait on line to get their copy of your magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to follow your dreams! Be a writer! Writers and artists as social commentators, social critics and truth-tellers are necessary at this moment in history more than ever. Why do I say this?

    What is touted as a recession may actually be a permanent crisis in capitalism, a system which has expanded like a balloon far beyond its capacity based on all sorts of devious and fraudulent financial Wall Street schemes and scams (as witnessed by the bail-outs and the sub-prime mortgage debacles) and is thus about to come crashing in on itself.

    Not suggesting that we should become survivalists like some of the rightwing nut fringe and head out to food-stocked bunkers deep in the woods armed with rifles to prepare for the resulting social chaos & upheaval (urban insurrections by the poor and down-trodden) and the consequent government fascist crack-down on civil liberties, but we should definitely have not only a Plan A and a Plan B in these times but also Plan C. Plan C might entail some historical research --What has the role of the writer, artist and intellectual been in times of social crisis? Maybe not as glamourous and lucrative as in times of plenty, but certainly far more influential. . . the pen is mightier than the sword! Wield that pen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While collecting unemployment, I've considered going back to school to get my Masters in Journalism. I'm going to go ahead and apply to the school of my choice but I refuse to be in debt. I'm not in debt and I REFUSE to be with capital letters. My goal is to pay out of pocket some way some how.

    The economy is purging itself then it will 'reboot' with a new operating system because the current operating system is no longer sustainable. In the not too distant future, there will no longer be a three tier group. Instead, it will only be two tiers: It's either the wealthy tier or the working poor tier.

    Despite the purging, it is an exciting time and place for me. I've met some wonderful people and I am able to pour all of my energy into/within myself. I am truly grateful for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete